MaSDiV (2017 – 2020) (Supporting mathematics and science teachers in addressing diversity and promoting fundamental values) was a Erasmus+ funded project that aimed to support maths and science teachers in accommodating cultural, socioeconomic and performance related diversity in their classrooms. Central to this project was the inclusion of the social and intercultural dimensions in maths and science classes. Teachers were equipped to foster students’ understanding of fundamental values of our society through maths and science lessons.
The MaSDiV Professional Development course, which was developed during the project, includes innovative teaching approaches and links inquiry-based learning with the influence of culture and fundamental values. The course creates inclusive class environments and helps to enhance the achievement levels of all students. By applying these approaches, teachers actively support their students in the process of becoming well-informed and critically-reflected citizens.
The MaSDiV project received funding from Erasmus+ Key Action 3 (Initiatives for policy innovation – European policy experimentations in the fields of Education, Training and Youth led by high-level public authorities, Priority ‘Promoting fundamental values through Education and Training addressing diversity in the learning environment’) and was coordinated by the International Centre for STEM Education (ICSE) at the University of Education in Freiburg, Germany.
The project consortium consisted of 13 institutions. It was comprised of university-ministry tandems in six countries.
- University of Education Freiburg, Germany (Project Coordinator)
- Ministry for Education, Youth and Sports Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany
- University of Nicosia, Cyprus
- Ministry of Education and Culture, Cyprus
- University of Jaen, Spain
- Ministry of Education and Vocational Training, Spain
- University of Malta, Malta
- Ministry of Education and Employment, Malta
- Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Ministry of Education, Culture and Science, Netherlands
- Hacettepe University, Turkey
- Turkish Ministry of National Education, Turkey
- IPN – Leibniz Institute for Science and Mathematics Education at Kiel University, Germany (evaluation institution)