ICSE collaborates with the ICSE consortium and other partners to implement various activities. Amongst these activities are conferences, like the successful conference series “Educating the Educators”, the participation in international competitions and issuing an international newsletter.
International Conferences and Events
Involving research, practice and policy is key to promoting innovation in STEM education. Too often, ideas and innovative practices exist only in enclaves because of a lack of links and collaboration between research, practice and policy. This insight arose during our most recent international events and conferences – and is motivating us to strengthen ties between these spheres.
In recent years, we have organised policy-oriented international events in Brussels and Freiburg which informed policy about existing barriers in Europe to a broader take-up of innovative approaches such as inquiry-based teaching and learning. Implementation barriers which we experienced in the roll-out of PD programmes in European-wide projects (such as assessment practices, lack of cooperative structures at many schools, ineffective PD structures) were directly discussed with policy makers.
- Freiburg, 2019: Policy seminar for initiating and sustaining cooperation for innovation in STEM education
- Freiburg, 2016: Scaling-up STEM teacher professional development. Overcoming challenges through a research-policy-practice dialogue
- Brussels, 2013: Learning for the future: Changing mathematics and science classes
- Brussels, 2011: Towards Europe 2020: Inquiring minds – innovative pedagogies in mathematics and science education
Following up on a core barrier to a broader take-up of innovation in STEM education, a conference series entitled Educating the Educators has been established. Educating the Educators focuses on approaches to scaling-up STEM teacher professional development and has, though a research-based conference, from the outset been designed to enhance exchange between research, policy and practice. To date three conferences were held.
- Freiburg, 2019: Following the first two conferences, ETE III continues to provide a space for an exciting exchange of knowledge on approaches to and concrete materials for scaling up professional development in STEM education.
- Freiburg, 2016: Educating the Educators II boasts a highly innovative concept combining a classical research conference with interactive formats such as a Policy Seminar, a Materials Market and a Company Visit.
- Essen, 2014: The first Educating the Educators Conference on international approaches to scaling-up professional development in maths and science education takes place in Essen.
Educating the Educators IV is taking place in the Netherlands in 2023. Check out the event website for more information.